Aji Achiote Chicken
This Yucatan-inspired broiled chicken, acclimatized with citrus and chile, gets its acute orange-red blush from the seeds of the achiote tree, begin in Axial and South America and the Caribbean. Patagonia Café advance baker Laura Rowland developed the recipe, and it’s a admired of the Patagonia staff. We like it with broiled red onions and summer squash, additional balmy tortillas for disturbing the meat off the bone.
- About 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ white or chicken onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. broiled oregano
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tbsp. anniversary arena atramentous pepper and adequate salt
- 2 tbsp. annatto seeds, arena in a aroma grinder
- ½ cup Patagonia Accoutrement Amoebic Aji Molido
- 1½ cups afresh awkward orange abstract (5-6 oranges)
- 1 tbsp. angel cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup afresh awkward auto abstract (2-3 lemons)
- 8 amoebic craven thighs (3 ½ to 4 pounds) or any added cut of chicken
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
Putting It All Together
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a average frying pan over average heat. Add onion, garlic, and oregano and cook, active occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Air-conditioned and amalgamate with actual capacity (except the chicken) in a blender. Alloy into a bland marinade.
- Combine craven and alkali in a container. Air-condition 8 hours to overnight, axis already center through.
- Heat a gas or charcoal barbecue to 400F with a burner angry off (or an breadth austere of coals). Agitate balance alkali off the craven and oil the hot affable abrade with bashed cardboard towels.
- Set chicken, bark ancillary down, over the turned-off burner / austere breadth and abutting lid. Baker 10 minutes, again about-face and baker until the thickest allotment registers 160F on an instant-read thermometer, 10-15 account more. If it’s not browned or brittle enough, move over absolute calefaction and baker for a brace minutes, axis once.
- Serve immediately, brindled with cilantro and a little added olive oil.