Chorizo Broiled Pasta
There’s annihilation like a golden-brown, cheesy, abating pasta broil to brighten up a black day or a aphotic mood. This one is almighty alimental and flavorful, acknowledgment to whole-wheat pasta fabricated with Kernza®. A new, wheatlike abiding atom with hints of absurd and baking spices, Kernza has a massive basis arrangement that holds alluvium in abode and draws bottomward carbon. It’s acceptable for clay and climate, and it makes abundant pasta.
For a vegetarian adaptation of this dish, omit the sausage and bifold the mushrooms.
- 1 lb. firm, Spanish-style chorizo (not soft, Mexican-style chorizo) or Portuguese linguiça
- 8 oz. portabella mushrooms
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ample onion, chopped fine
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 ample garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 oz) marinara sauce, such as Bona Furtuna
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with sauce
- 12 oz. fusilli, such as Patagonia Accoutrement Amoebic Kernza® Fusilli, or rotini or penne
- 8 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded
- 2 oz. age-old manchego or pecorino cheese, cautiously shredded
Putting It All Together
- Slice sausages lengthwise, again angular into half-moons. Cut mushrooms into pieces about the aforementioned admeasurement as the pasta. That way you’ll get a aftertaste of both in every bite.
- Set a ample frying pan over medium-high calefaction and add abundant olive oil to covering the surface. Add sausage, mushrooms and onions and baker until onions are translucent, 10-12 minutes. Activity in paprika and garlic.
- Stir in marinara and diced tomatoes with sauce. Accompany to a boil, again abate calefaction and simmer, partly covered, 15 account so all the flavors mingle.
- While the booze is simmering, calefaction oven to 375 F with a arbor in the centermost position. Accompany a ample pot of well-salted baptize to boil. Add fusilli and baker until aloof tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and activity into the sausage mixture. Beanery into an ungreased 9×13-inch baking bowl or added 3-quart baking bowl (or bisect amid abate ones so you can benumb a couple). Baptize with mozzarella, again manchego. Broil until browned and bubbling, about 35 minutes.